Syrian National Council SNC
The original Syrian National Council was formed in 2005 as the first organized political movement by Syrian expatriates, to address the issues of violations of Human Rights by the Syrian regime, and to defend the Syrian people's rights and demands, for democratically elected assembly and Government and President.
Unfortunately the SNC was subjected to some activities in violation to its charter by few members of its executive Committee, in addition to some philosophical and political differences regarding the rules of religion in future Syria, and their systematic attempt to isolate and discriminate against some members who profess different believes and opinions, and that led the majority of its members to leave the SNC and resume their political activities at different Forums.
The SNC is a non-profit public policy research organization headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- The SNC, understand democracy to be the empowerment of People to regularly elect representatives, to establish laws, to rule societies in total freedom, with the assurance of full respect of human rights of the people regardless of their Ethnic and religious or political background and persuasions, to guarantee the freedom of the media and the press.
- In democracy the government and the constitution of the land and the laws guarantees the rights of individual and his security, in order to realize his full potential, and serve the people and respond to their needs.
We seek the following:
- Abolishing all emergency laws enacted in Syria since 1963, and refrain from enacting new laws under different names, and also abolishing all special courts and security courts, and returning to regular laws and Courts, with full guarantee and respect of the rule of laws, and the independency of the Court and the judiciary, and the application of all court rulings, without any discrimination against any one, and that should be the rules not the exception, and the Immediate implementation of general amnesty for all political detainees, and refraining from chasing or arresting any political activist for any reasons, and permitting the return home of all Syrian political exile.
- Modification of the specific terms governing the election of the president of the republic by implementing competitive direct elections, restricting the power of the President and limiting the duration of his service, and defining his privileges, and clearly regulate the means of monitoring his activities, and his office, and affirming by Laws his accountability, and the possibility of loss of confidence (impeachment) for him and for any of his deputies or assistants.
- Abolishing all restrictive laws that obstruct freedoms of individuals, press, and media, which gives the right of monopoly and ownership to the state and put an end to State interference in their affairs, and to end the manipulation by government apparatuses of the Public, such as financing or granting special permissions or licensing.
- Abolishing of all laws restricting citizen rights, including their rights to establish political parties, organizations, trade unions, professional associations, and civil society organizations, with an exception to these rules, would be the application of certain restrictions in some individual cases in violation with the Laws
- Enacting Laws to prevent the armed forces in Syria from interfering in politics and limit its main duty to protect the nation and to refrain from becoming an instrument in the hands of any ruler, to toy with the constitutions and obstruct the rule of laws.
- The participation of Syrian women in political life and Reiteration of her pivotal roles in the process of democratic changes, and ensures her representation on all levels of political life, including political parties' structures, and civil society organizations.
- Ending the deprivation of any Syrian citizen from his/her civic and political rights on the basis of religion, sect, gender, ethnicity or language. We reiterate that religion fulfills individual spiritual needs, and must be by definition separate from the political domain, which primarily is couched in a language of the charters, and, not in absolute terms and formulations. Life is in constant state of changes, and charters which are (man-made) change in consequence.
- Ending the deprivation of any Syrian citizen from his/her civic and political rights on the basis of religion, sect, gender, ethnicity or language.
- We reiterate that religion fulfills individual spiritual needs, and must be by definition separate from the political domain, which primarily is couched in a language of the charters, and, not in absolute terms and formulations. Life is in constant state of changes, and charters which are (man-made) change in consequence.
- We in the SNC, to propose a language for the new Constitution in order to protect and enhance the institutions of Democracy, and to prevent future attempt by any organization or individual to reverse the advances been made towered a free and democratic State, and that would be by proposing to change the present political system from presidential system of government into parliamentary system. In addition we shall propose changes to the management system of governing the provinces from centralize system into a decentralize system of government, where all provinces would be able to elect their own governors and official and run their own domestic affairs within a united free and democratic Syria.
- We at the SNC believe that all the minorities of Syria should have the Rights to speak their own languages and teach it to their children, and practice their own religions and believe, and that should be granted by the laws, and the Constitution.
- We ask all democratic forces in Syria and the civil society organizations throughout the world, to support the efforts of the Syrian People in their struggles to create a civil and democratic State govern by the Law.
- We ask the civil societies of the democratic World to seize the vast opportunities of freedom available in their respective countries, to demand their own governments to find expeditious and just solution to the two pressing questions of Liberty and Democracy for the people of Syria.
- We call upon the current Syrian Regime to stop using the Syrian army and the Security forces in his campaign of killing and destruction, and refrain from creating the elements for igniting any conflict between the various ethnic and religious groups of the Country, as a means to postpone and delay the political reforms, and obstruct the movement towered democratic changes in Syria.
The SNC is a none profit public policy research organization register in the District of Colombia and head quarter in Washington D.C.
For the Syrian National Council